RBR GUIDANCE UPDATE
"PSAT Results Addition" December 2018 & January 2019
- RBR Guidance is “Guiding BUCS on the Go!” follow us on Twitter and Instagram @ RBR_Guidance and through Guidance 101 by Texting “8e324b” to 81010.
- On December 14th, 2nd marking period interim reports will be posted through the Genesis Parent Portal. Please contact the Guidance Office to speak with a school counselor regarding academic issues or issues accessing the parent portal or other concerns.
- Don’t forget Homework Help! In the Media Center after school Mon - Thurs up until 5:15pm. It’s a great space for students to get “HW” done and have the support of RBR teachers.
- Peer Tutoring! Is available everyday during lunch and study halls. The guidance counselors work with peer tutors to provide support to students in need of academic support or just want some help on earning the “A”.
- This year, RBR formed a Response to Intervention Team (RtI) to assist struggling learners. This team will assist with students by providing specific assessments in math and language arts as well as individualized interventions. If your child is identified as requiring this type of assistance you will be notified in writing. Contact the Guidance Office for any questions regarding to getting your child support through RtI.
- Reminder for ILO Physical Education (PE) students: Monthly timesheets are due down to Mrs. Bodin in Guidance on the 5th of each month. Additionally, all ILO PE students are required to complete their health education component online at your own cost via a pre-approved Educere course information already provided to you. To print the monthly ILO Timesheets, please follow this link and see Mr. Sabino with any questions.
- Seniors scheduled for ILO Personal Financial Literacy (PFL) should have already connected with Ms. D’Amico on how to register for the online Everfi.com course. Successful completion of a financial literacy course is required to meet state graduation requirements. All seniors that have not already met their financial literacy requirement are expected to have this course completed by the end of the first semester (2nd marking period) in order to be in good standing for June graduation.
- Parents of Current Freshmen: Beginning Monday, December 17th, Mr. Desiere, Mrs. Greene & Mrs. Marrero will begin meeting with all current 9th grade students and parents to discuss college/career planning and schedule courses for the 19/20 school year. To best accommodate your schedule, you will be able to choose an appointment date and time through the Genesis Parent Portal.
- Parents of Current Sophomores and Juniors: Beginning Monday, January 7th, sophomores and juniors will begin meeting with their school counselors and parents to discuss college/career planning and schedule courses for the 18/19 school year. To best accommodate your schedule, you will be able to begin scheduling appointments on December 17th through the Parent Portal.
College and Career Readiness Update
- The October 2018 PSAT 8/9 & PSAT/NMSQT results are now available online through www.collegeboard.org. Follow these directions on how to access your student’s test scores online. In January, the printed test booklets and score reports will also be provided to students. These results are important to review as they provided detailed breakdowns of each students performance. There are a number of resources available on the CollegeBoard website that will allow you to better understand, interpret and utilize these scores. Additionally, contact your school counselor to set-up an appointment to review and discuss preparation tips for future standardized testing.
- All students who take the SAT, PSAT/NMSQT, PSAT 8/9 have access to free, personalized SAT practice through a partnership with Khan Academy. Students can link their CollegeBoard accounts with their Khan accounts to use their scores to create a personalized learning plan. All of these resources are free.
- As many schools offering rolling admissions, counselors are continuing to meet with seniors regarding college application submissions. Make sure to follow-up directly with your school counselor at least 2 weeks prior to deadlines to make sure transcripts, recommendation letters, and additional supplemental materials are sent out on time.
- On December 19th, Kean University representative is coming to RBR to speak to students about the terrific opportunities that their EOF program can provide to college-bound students.
- Parents and Students that missed the College Application Presentation and College Financial Aid presentations can access the powerpoint presentations here. Please contact or stop down to Guidance to speak with your school counselor for any questions regarding the college application process, completing the FAFSA, scholarships, etc.
- At 7pm on Jan. 8th, the Guidance Department (with support of the BUC Backers) will host a presentation to educate students and parents on 2019-2020 course offerings including Advanced Placement(AP), International Baccalaureate (IB) and Dual Credit (college and high school credit) courses here at RBR. Come learn more about the terrific opportunities for ALL students to become AP scholars with distinction, earn an IB Diploma and be best prepared for college, scholarships and successful careers.
- All junior are meeting with school counselors continuing on their path of reviewing college and career choices. Parents and students are encouraged to also utilize Naviance/Family Connection and setting up their own accounts. Any questions, please contact Ms. Monteforte or Mrs. Bodin in the Guidance Office.
- On December 12th, RBR Guidance will offer a second opportunity for seniors that have not yet met standardized assessment proficiency with an opportunity to take the ASVAB assessment. Students that qualify will be instructed to report directly to the Career Center (Rm 140) at the start of the school day.
- Interested in getting involved in more community service? Check out our link on the RBR Guidance website to community opportunities to give back locally and beyond. If you know of additional community service opportunities in the community, please contact the Guidance Office to let us know.